Friday, January 18, 2013

Tomato Biryani - How to make Tomato Rice Biryani


Tomato Biryani or Tomato Bath or Tomato Pulao whatever you call is a very easy to make biryani recipe. It is a one-pot meal, no need to make any curry for this recipe. Just simple sides such as raitha and fryms are enough to enjoy this simple yet flavourful meal. 

Tomato Biryani - Tomato Bath - Tomato Pulao - Tomato Rice


During my lazy weekoffs I prefer one pot meals bcoz they are very easy and quick to make recipes and this Tomato Biryani is one such recipe.
I can enjoy my weekend with not much sweating in the kitchen and yes a spicy and special meal which is ofcourse needed to make the weekend more delightful. I have served Tomato Biryani with Namkeen Raitha and Papadams. I will be soon posting the Namkeen Raitha recipe.

Ingredients:


1.Tomatoes - 3 medium-sized (Chopped length-wise)
2. Basmati Rice - 2 cups (I used normal rice)
3. Oil - 2 tbsps (Can use ghee for better taste)
4. Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
5. Green cardamoms - 2
6. Bay Leaves - 2
7. Cloves - 3
8. Black Pepper - 4
9. Shajeera (Black Cumin Seeds)- 1/4 tsp
10. Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
11. Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
12. Onion - 1 large (Chopped length-wise)
13. Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
14. Coriander leaves - 1/4 bunch (finely chopped)
15. Mint leaves - 5 to 6
16. Red chilli powder - 2 tsps (Can use 3 to 4 green chillies instead of this)
17. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
18. Salt - As per taste

Procedure:


1. Soak rice for 1/2 hr. For 2 cups rice take 4 cups of water. Since I cook my rice in bowl rather than in pressure cooker I add 1 cup of water more.
2. Heat oil/ghee in a kadai.
3. Add mustard, cumin, shajeera, bay leaves, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, cardamom and fry for a minute.
4. Add chopped onion, once it turns translucent, add mint and coriander leaves.



5. Now add chopped tomatoes fry for few minutes. Let tomatoes turn mushy.

6. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.



7. Add water from soaked rice and cover with lid. Allow it to boil.




8. Once water starts boiling, add soaked rice, mix well and cook on a low to medium flame till the rice is done.


9. Once biryani is ready, transfer it to a bowl and fluff it with a fork.

10. Serve hot with raitha and fryms.

Tomato Pulao - Spicy Tomato Rice - Tomato Biryani



I will be soon posting Namkeen Raitha recipe which I have used as sides for the above recipe. Meanwhile You can make Boondhi Raitha also as sides for the above recipe. Do check my Boondhi Raitha recipe by clicking on this link : Boondhi Raitha


No comments:

Post a Comment